The Design Business Council and the business of design
The business of design is an area that is sadly neglected in the Australian design industry. With the majority of design studios being micro businesses it’s hard enough for designers to stay current with, or get on front of, design trends and technology let alone worrying about management practice.
However it’s obvious from examining the larger Australian design studios that they have solid management skills within their creative executives and this is part of their success and growth.
Creative executives must understand the power of new consumer groups and well thought-through local, global and multi-cultural marketing strategies and trends. Executives must address new technologies, radical change and business strategy.
The DBC helps creative executives develop this business knowledge and skill.
The DBC does this through publications, workshops, E-courses and mentoring.
Greg Branson (DBC CEO) has developed a series of tools that help design executives;
- examine their business model,
- develop a deeper understanding of their clients,
- define the value design contributes to their clients’ business,
- demonstrate a return on design investment,
- integrate design processes and design thinking into their clients’ business,
- elevate design to a strategic tool that businesses can leverage,
- analyse the profitability and productivity of their studio,
- develop new business strategies.
The DBC through its design management zine DMzine researches the Australian design industry each year to give an analysis of all levels of design businesses.
These insights are used in DBC publications, workshops, e-courses and mentoring.
Contact Greg Branson, email, phone 0412762045