Managing a team of creatives is not for the faint hearted.
This is a program for designers wanting to move into management.
This program delivers the skills, tools and resources to help you successfully negotiate the path to managing a design studio. Skills not taught in universities. Skills that you could learn ‘on the job’ but that often proves slow and hazardous.
The content is based on industry-insights: real, practical activities based on 30 years experience managing an Australian design studio. And it’s not just our story, in each unit, practising design studio managers share their experiences via video.
The program is flexible: you can study full or part time, online, in your time, at your own speed. But you’re not alone: we’re at the end of an email and available via a slack channel to talk through any challenges. At the end of each unit mentoring is available to ensure you’ve got what you need to succeed.
How the program is delivered
- online readings
- 43 downloadable PDF factsheets/activity worksheets
- The Business of Design publication
- video interviews with seven practising Design Studio Managers explaining how they manage their studio
- listings of further readings/reference
- facilitated via a slack channel
- supported with email mentoring
Don’t take our word for it, here’s what others said about the program:
This online, self-paced program is packed full of practical information about running a creative studio. Overall, its 7 units cover a lot of ground from a variety of points of view. Industry insights, benchmarks and interviews with designers and studio managers add useful points of reference and relatability, which I found particularly valuable. The way each unit is broken down into bite-size activity sheets means that nothing’s too daunting to sink your teeth into – particularly handy if you’re balancing the course with work and life. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to broaden their understanding of the ins and outs of design studio management.
Loren Holmes, Director, To & Fro Studio
In a nutshell:
What: an online program teaching the studio management skills needed to lead an Australian design studio
When: self-paced program available online.
Length: flexible, expect approx 10 weeks allowing one hour per day.
Who it would suit: designers wanting to learn management skills.
Cost: $2,500 (+GST).
Contents of the program:
The program is presented over seven units:
- an overview of the Australian design industry: why that’s important to understand where you fit
- the structures and skills needed in a successful studio. How to recognise skills, and gaps.
- understanding creatives and how they work. How to negotiate, how to manage up, and down.
- managing workflow. Skills and tools to manage the peaks and the troughs.
- managing clients. How to recognise the good, and the bad.
- identifying and understanding competitors.
- finance. Understanding the numbers behind a successful studio.
For more information on the program simply email or call Carol on 0418 384 002
The easy way to stay up to date
We produce a weekly newsletter about the business of design. It’s written specifically for Australian designers. It’s an easy way to stay current and learn skills and tools to help you manage your business better. Subscribe here.